Monday, October 18, 2010

Project 2: Digital Self-Portrait


 This is the photo I've chosen to turn into a digital self-portrait. Though I didn't take the picture myself, I think it is the picture of me that best captures who I am. Though my eyes, my favorite part of my body, aren't really well captured, my personality is. There is a certain feistiness and attitude to the picture that I think expresses me well and the way my head is turned and my hair lays is very flattering and beautiful. Coupled with the vivid colors and the nice color-blocked background, I think the picture is captivating and will be challenging to turn into a digital portrait (the hair especially).

I'm a perfectionist--I'll admit it. Being so, a digital self-portrait enables me to become a perfectionist about myself, my appearance and my physical features. If there's a blemish or other undesirable physical trait that I don't like, I can easily remove it in my digital self-portrait. You can also even out skin tone and even slightly alter hair color to match the hue you always wished it was (redder!). Of course, that takes away a bit from it being a true self-portrait but the editing power is there all the same. I think creating a digital self-portrait allows the artist to accentuate all the features they like best about themselves. I can pay more attention to my hair since it is the element I like best in this picture and pay less attention to something like my face (my chin is huge and I don't really like it) and thereby draw attention away from the face and direct to toward the intricately-digitized hair.

I intend to make a flat image--I love them and how they play with depth and perspective in ways other than shading and gradient. Most of my depth will come from differences in color. I think this will be like compressing myself, flattening my image to a flat computer screen where it will be viewed. In this way my portrait becomes digital because the shapes are made by digital information and because I will become a flattened image, rather than a 3-D image that mimics reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment